Monday, February 4, 2008

Woohoo another P.R.!

Last sunday, I joined the Green Is Good 10k run at U.P.. and I'm happy to say that I finally broke the damn sub 50!
I clocked in around 49:30. Hehe.. barely a sub 50 but again, it still is. :)
My previous 10k P.R. was 51mins.. and that was around 2005 when I was still training with my mountaineering group. If I remember correctly I think my worst was 1:25-30. Which was my very first 10k. Hehe..
I was supposed to pace my hockey buddies but 1 min before the start I decided to try and run at a "normal" pace. Not really the pace where you'll run out of breath but more of a relaxed pace where you know you're running quite faster than your normal training run. Sounds complicated? Hehe.. Basically I just wanted know what my 10k time's gonna be this time around. I mean now that I already did a 42k run.
I didnt prepare for this run at all. Never even thought of registering for it. I just heard that my hockey buds were joining so I joined as well. I wasnt doing anything on that day anyway.
A couple of days before the race I was drunk. Hehe.. it started thursday night and then drank again on friday and then on saturday. I got home around 3am already and slept around 4:30. Slept for only 30 mins, woke up 5am, and then got ready and went to the race venue.
Quite frankly, the race was over for me in a jiffy. I guess thats what running a full marathon gives to you. It gives you swagger. Hey, what's a 10k compared to a 42 right? Hehe.. Its only the warmup.
My left knee though acted up again after the 10k. Maybe its because of the increased effort and pounding because it didnt hurt this much after my last full marathon. Right now, its feeling better (maybe because its on ice hehe) I just have to make sure I continue my therapy sessions.
Right now, conditioning wise, I'm still not at my very best. Maybe around 60%. Weight is still an issue (caused by the holiday season) plus the fact that my knees arent 100% yet. My ankle so far is feeling ok though. I'm using smaller fins now for my main sport, underwater hockey, so that also helps a lot.
At least my motivation is high. I'm focusing more on my running and conditioning. Been hittin the gym consistently for the past couple of weeks. Havent missed a beat yet so I hope this continues for the entire 2008 season. :)

No comments: