Friday, July 18, 2008

Subit 2008!

Dont want to start my latest post again with this...

its been awhile!

hmm its been what? almost 4 months!

Ive been wanting to write again for the longest time but I just cant seem to get my groove going..

writers block? maybe.. but i'm not a writer so how can that happen to me? :)

The past 4 months maybe the most busiest, activity filled, emotionally draining months of my life.

A lot has happened to me in that very short amount of time.

Hmm where should I begin?

Lets kick this off with last months Subic Olympic Distance Triathlon (Subit).

As usual, my time wasnt good enough for a podium finish or anything but my target prior to the race is to simply just OBLITERATE my time last year.

I clocked 3h:22mins last year and Im happy to say that I accomplished my goal and obliterated my personal record! I finished this years Subit race with a time of 2h:46mins J Not bad.. It wasn’t enough for a podium but its more than enough for me. J

Before the race start though, I made a mistake and underestimated my training buddy Julian’s knack for snoring. Ever since, he’s had a reputation of being a really loud snorer. I’ve been with him for a couple of pre race sleepovers before and found nothing wrong with it so I thought it’ll be just fine with me.

Also, prior to the day before the race, I barely got any sleep because of work. So I was thinking that sleeping before raceday wouldn’t be a problem because I assumed I already would be sleepy as hell come bed time.

But to my surprise, KABOOM! It fucking backfired! I dunno if its pre-race jitters or my buddy’s snoring or the coffee that I drank before bedtime but I couldn’t sleep!

I know it wasn’t jitters because I never had those before. So its either the coffee or the snoring. Haha.

Anyways, that totally messed up my preparation for the race. I hate to admit it but I think it DID affect my race in such a way that I didn’t get to fully recharge my batteries.

The end result? I ended up sleeping only for 1 hour prior to the race L Add the fact that I didn’t get enough sleep the other day.

I was literally feeling like a zombie before the start of the swim. I couldn’t concentrate. Deep in my mind I was pissed because I trained quite hard for this only for me to fuck it up come raceday.

When the gun was fired and we started swimming already, I was slowly losing it in the water.

I was literally dazed all throught the swim, thoughts about the fact that I didn’t get enough sleep just kept on popping in my head. Give me a floating bed and I’ll be more than happy to stop and finally get some sleep. I tried to block the negativity off a couple of times but its just didn’t work.

I ended up a full minute behind my p.r. in the swim compared to my 07 Subit swim time… and to think I barely even trained last year compared to this race. That says it all.

The bike was a totally different story though.. after I exited T1 and hopped on my bike, everything just seemed to get back in gear. I finally managed to get in a zone and pound those cranks away.

The bike seemed like a blur cause I felt really good all throught. I really think my tires made all the difference! My Argon-18 made me faster too of course.

As for the run, I think I did a 55 minute 10k run.. still a P.R. compared to my previous SubiT time but I’m still not happy with it. After feeling really well on the bike split, my legs were toast on the run stage. I wasn’t tired, I knew I could go faster, but I just couldn’t. I came to the finish line still feeling really well and good. Far from my target to cross the finish line really drained and washed up. Meaning I gave it “my all”.

But heck, its over now. Just have to pick up the lessons here and start all over again J

I totally didnt train last year and just "winged" it.. this year though, lets just say I “kinda” trained. Hehe.. hence the improvement J.

Im also very happy because I’m finally injury free! It felt really good racing without feeling any pain. Starting from my injury prone ankles, knees, and shoulders! So thank God for that.

Thanks also to my Physical Therapist who’s been very patient with me throught the whole process. Youre the best doc! Your clinic rocks!

If you’re injured or youre feeling any pain, give my P.T. a try. He’s the best. Send me a message for his info J

1 comment:

cholle said...

ooohh nagpost ka pala dito. hmm. i'm guessing your next entry will be after whiterock na. hehe.

good luck! :) i know you'll do well given all the training you're having. go go!